Summer is almost over – an no doubt we all have taken lots of photos – now to file them so we can find them in the future… As we all know when we take digital photos our camera names each photo with a number unique to that camera.. So once we’ve moved them to our computer, it’s helpful to rename them with a name that we can recognize.
Personally I rename ever photo with the date it was taken and a brief name of the event… But it’s time consuming and totally unnecessary to do each photo individual – so let the computer do it for you – and that can be done using either Windows Explorer (open this with the Windows Flag Key & letter E) or for those who you Picasa you can do it there… Here’s how…
In Windows Explorer - Use the Detail View and Sort by Date Created Or Modified so you can easily put your photos in order that they were taken before renaming them
- Select/Highlight your group of photos in your folder that currently have the camera numbers. To highlight them either use CTRL+A for all, or use your shift or CTRL keys to select a group of random photos…
- Once the photos are highlighted that we want to “rename” right-click on the first photo, when the action menu appears, choose “Rename” from the menu. When you rename the first image in the group, all of the others you had selected will also get that name, followed by a consecutive number o they will remain in the order that you took them…
- This is a fast and easy way to group similar pictures together in a single folder. If you wanted to undo the batch renaming, all you’d need to go is highlight them all again, right-click them and choose the Undo option
IN PICASA – Renaming a group of photos is called “Batch editing”…Use batch editing to make the same edits to multiple photos at the same time. For example, use batch editing to auto-correct redeye for an entire album at once. Please follow these steps:
- Select/highlight all the photos that you'd like to edit.
- Click the Picture menu.
- Select Batch Edit.
- Select the editing feature that you'd like to apply to all selected photos (such as renaming)