Friday, August 19, 2011

Windows Explorer-The computers filing cabinet

Windows Explorer is an application software program available in all Windows Operating Systems that allows you to find anything on your computer.

To me, Windows Explorer is like looking at various file cabinets and what's in those file cabinet drawers to find everything I've saved on my computer.. It allows us to to easily copy documents, photos, music, videos from one folder to another or to back up my folders onto a flash drive or portable hard drive..

Windows Explorer is typically listed in the Program list under Accessories, but for the easiest access no matter what program you are in, just use your keyboard shortcut:
Windows Flag Key + E .

When you use Windows Explorer, you can see all the documents stored on your computer (or your network), which makes it easy to select documents, folders, travel drives, digital cameras portable hard drives to work with them.

Windows Explorer uses the same “folder system” you would in a “filing cabinet”. Folders and sub-folders are "containers" to store documents (files). The folders that Windows creates for you are named My Documents, My Music, My Pictures & My Videos. They get their names from the fact that you use them as follows:

My Documents: Use this folder to store other types of documents you save, such as typed text or spreadsheets



  • My Music: Use this folder to store music you copy to your computers

  • My Pictures: Use this folder to store pictures, such as those you get from a camera or scanner, or from the Internet

  • My Videos: Use this folder to store videos, such as those you get from a video camera, emails or from the Internet

In Windows XP and older operating systems you will see that you must open the My Documents drawer to see the other master folders, such as My Music, My Pictures, My Scans, My Videos...

In Windows Vista and Windows 7 Operating Systems, the Master folder is called a Library and in that you will find each of the individual master folders, including My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, My Scans, My Videos..

For those of you using MAC’s – you now have Macintosh Explorer – check it out at www.ragesw.com/products/explorer.html


No comments:

Post a Comment