Sunday, October 10, 2010

What is an Internet meme????

I read an article this week about a comment that has been "floating" around facebook this last week or so and in the article, the writer used the word "Internet meme" or "meme" several times and I had no idea what she was talking about and assumed I wasn't alone - I know I'd seen the word used before, but now I was curious and determined to learn what it meant....

After a little research on countless sites, I’ve learned that the word "meme" when pronounced rhymes with “dream” or “cream”, but they say that some pronounce it so it sounds like ‘mem’ (from mem-ory)

What it means, seems to vary, but it seems to reference items in blogs or other social networking sites, such as facebook and/or myspace – but the various definitions seems to be:

  • An idea that, like a gene, can replicate and evolve.
  • A unit of cultural information that represents a basic idea that can be transferred from one individual to another, and subjected to mutation, crossover and adaptation.
  • A cultural unit (an idea or value or pattern of behavior) that is passed from one generation to another by nongenetic means (as by imitation); “memes are the cultural counterpart of genes”.

In our next blog posting, I will post the article about the "Internet Meme" ~ "I like it on..." comments that are prevalent this month on facebook (referred to as memes) Why, to raise awareness about breast cancer...

No comments:

Post a Comment